Остававшийся утерянным в течение 160 лет концерт, написанный великим Людвиг ван Бетховеном, был впервые исполнен публично - вероятно, впервые с момента смерти композитора.
Вторая часть единственного концерта композитора для гобоя была восстановлена двумя голландскими музыкальными экспертами, которые работали с набросками партитуры, найденными в библиотеках в Бонне и Лондоне.
Восьмиминутная часть была сыграна в ходе концерта, состоящего из музыки Моцарта и Баха в Роттердаме. "Громкие премьеры случаются постоянно. Но отрывок музыкального произведения Бетховена, который никто не слышал! Такая премьера - действительно нечто особенное", - сказал дирижер Rotterdam Chamber Orchestra Конрад ван Альфен тысячной аудитории меломанов, предваряя отрывок из бетховенского концерта.
Благодарные зрители приветствовали медленный, мелодичный отрывок теплыми признательными аплодисменты, однако овации они устроили только более популярным частям программы, сообщает Ananova.com.
Бетховен написал концерт для гобоя в 1793 году - это было учебное задание его учителя Франца Йозефа Гайдна. Единственная известная копия этого музыкального произведения исчезла из Венского издательского дома в 1840-ых годах.
Эскизы или наброски концерта в темпе largo, написанные Бетховеном, интриговали музыковедов в течение десятилетий. Однако впервые реконструкция была сделана в полной оркестровке. "У нас нет никаких точных сведений о том, как это звучало во времени Бетховена, но я думаю, что это - самая удачная реконструкция", - заметил ван Альфен.
3 марта 2003 г.
A Beethoven work that was lost for 160 years has been given what is believed to be its first public performance since the composer's death.
The slow, melodic Largo movement of the Oboe Concerto in F Major was performed in front of an audience of 1,000 people in Rotterdam.
The eight-minute piece formed part of an evening of concert classics by Mozart and CPE Bach.
Of all the genres of music, the oboe concerto was one of the few Beethoven rarely touched.
"Premières happen all the time, but a Beethoven piece that's never been heard?" said Conrad van Alphen, conductor of the Rotterdam Chamber Orchestra.
There's no way of knowing how it would have sounded in Beethoven's time
Conductor Conrad van Alphen
"To have a Beethoven première is really special."
Beethoven wrote the concerto in 1793 as an exercise when he was a student of Franz Josef Haydn.
The only known copy of the score vanished from a Vienna publishing house in the 1840s.
Its existence was confirmed only in 1935 when an exchange of letters was found between Haydn and Beethoven's sponsor.
The sponsor appeared unimpressed with the piece, but his letter confirmed the concerto had been performed in Bonn.
The concerto was reconstructed by two Dutch music experts based on sketches found in libraries in Bonn and London in the 1960s.
The oboe soloist was Russian-born Alexei Ogrintchouk, who is also soloist for Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra. Aged 24, he is roughly the same age as Beethoven was when he scored the concerto.
Experts had puzzled over the sketches for years but Jos van der Zanden and Cees Nieuwenhuizen are believed to be the first to reconstruct the work with full orchestration - a project that took them a year.
"There's no way of knowing how it would have sounded in Beethoven's time," said Van Alphen.
"But I think this is an authentic reconstruction."
Beethoven's lost oboe concerto performed (Posted 3/2/2003 )
ROTTERDAM, Netherlands (AP) — Musicologists puzzled over a lost Ludwig von Beethoven concerto for decades, ever since the 1960s discovery of the sketch of a single movement among the composer's papers.
Now, two Dutch Beethoven enthusiasts have pieced together the musical clues, put them into 18th-century orchestral context and reconstructed the second movement of the only oboe concerto Beethoven ever wrote.
The slow, melodic Largo movement of the Oboe Concerto in F Major was performed Saturday night in Rotterdam and billed as a "world premiere" — even though the full concerto was performed at least once before, 210 years ago.
"Premieres happen all the time. But a Beethoven piece that's never been heard?" said Conrad van Alphen, conductor of the Rotterdam Chamber Orchestra. "To have a Beethoven premiere is really special."
The eight-minute piece was slipped into an evening of concert standards by Mozart and C.P.E. Bach without fanfare, barring a bold-print note on the program announcing the "premiere."
The audience gave the movement warm applause but saved their standing ovations for more familiar pieces on the program.
True, the recovered concerto is from an early work and gives little foretaste of the majestic symphonies he wrote while going deaf. The movement reveals a cautious Beethoven — then a 22-year-old student — still influenced by Mozart and his teacher Franz Josef Haydn.
Nonetheless, recovering the movement is significant — mostly because of all the genres of music in Beethoven's prolific career, the oboe concerto was among the few he hardly touched.
Beethoven wrote the concerto in 1792 as an exercise under Haydn and revised the second movement the following year. It would be several more years before he published his Opus No. 1, announcing himself as a composer.
The only known copy of the oboe concerto vanished from a Vienna publishing house in the 1840s. Its existence was confirmed in 1935, when researchers found an exchange of letters between Haydn and Beethoven's sponsor, in which the Austrian composer seeks a further stipend for his young German pupil.
The sponsor's letter confirmed the oboe concerto had been performed in Bonn, Germany — though he appeared unimpressed by it.
Next, a Beethoven scholar found the opening notes of all three movements in a Bonn library and published them in 1964. Another scholar examined bundles of Beethoven's sketches, or drafts, in the British Library and, working with the clues found in Bonn, could identify the oboe concerto's second movement.
Since then, experts have tried to rebuild the movement, but Jos van der Zanden and Cees Nieuwenhuizen are believed to be the first to do so with full orchestration.
Van der Zanden, a musicologist with Dutch radio and a frequent contributor to the Beethoven Journal published in San Jose, Calif., worked for more than a year with composer Nieuwenhuizen to reconstruct a "sober 18th-century accompaniment."
The two "had the skeleton, from the first to the last note," but were uncertain which passages were intended for the oboe soloist and which for the orchestra. Scoring the orchestration, they inferred harmonies from the way similar concertos were composed at the time, Van der Zanden said.
The sketches also had clues for the full score — a few marks and symbols above the staves indicating chords, cadences or links to other passages.
"He probably had this lying on his desk when he wrote the score," said Van der Zanden, still flushed after hearing it played before an audience for the first time.
"It's a little conventional, but it has elements of the Beethoven to come," he said.
Van der Zanden approached several orchestras to perform the movement, but all had full schedules booked years in advance. A friend in Rotterdam suggested the young chamber orchestra led by Van Alphen, a Dutch-South African conductor, formed in 2000.
Performing on the oboe was Alexei Ogrintchouk, a Russian-born soloist with the Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra who, at 24, is roughly the same age as Beethoven when he scored the concerto.
"It's a big responsibility," said the oboist, "but a joyful one."